When I decided to go natural, it was June of 2010. I made the decision because I had become extremely tired with my hair. I consistently dealt with my hair growing and breaking. I felt that I needed to stop lying to myself about the cause of my hair loss and stop blaming it on stress.
It was a hard decision but it was one that had to be made. I started on the road of transitioning by doing protective styles with half wigs. I enjoyed not worrying about when I was going to get my next touch up. However I began to realize,how can I properly care for my hair if all I do is cover it up with wigs. I am not allowing it to breathe nor am I able to give it the moisture it truly deserves.
At that point, I decided to take that flipping wig off my head and embrace the mess that was on top of my head. And a mess it was, I had curly roots and matted stripped permed ends sitting on my head, it was terrible. I could not decide what to do with it, all i knew was I could not take my hair looking the way it looked anymore. It was literally crying for help, crying to be healthy and strong again. In that very moment as I looked myself in the mirror, I decided to do the big chop. From then on, I never looked back. This was the beginning, the beginning of a new me, a new more confident, strong, and sexy me that I didn't know existed because it was hidden underneath conformity.

No comments:
Post a Comment